Friday, June 21, 2002

Harley Adventure
Riding a Harley is much more fun that I thought it would be. Today was my day off and so my great-uncle Sam came and picked me up from the dorm. We went to Jay Bird's for lunch, which was ok food (similar to Red Robin's) but pretty sleezy. Sitting in the smoking section was no fun and there were these television screens at each booth for people to gamble while they sat and ate. It made me want to throw up to see that. You'd think that coming to a restaurant would be a good experience to sit and talk, but no, people just sat with each other and ate while gambling. sick.
Mark met us at the restaurant. My dad's cousin (my great-uncle's son), I have no idea what his official title is in relation to me. I am his second cousin, but what is he to me? Asking around there seems to be no conclusion. I guess I've met Mark once before in my life. 20 years ago when I was first born. He's a really nice guy, but one of those people who most would be intimidated by at first site. Kinda big. Long hair. Beard. Tattoos all over. And rides a mean black awesome Harley.
When we came back from the restaurant to my great-aunt and uncle's house the first thing Sam did was get out his camera and told me to hop on. Decked out in a leather jacket and black helmet I jumped on and smiled, giggling like crazy. A couple of snaps of the camera and then we were off. It was awesome!
He started off slow at first, gently riding down the block. And then we got going faster and faster and faster, until hitting about 65mph (equal to the temperature outside...it's been bad weather these past coupla days). Turning corners was the best part, feeling the lean of the bike. It was surprisingly comfortable. Black leather, vey cushy. Listening to Alice in Chains.....made the ride even more enjoyable.
What an end to my day off! Right when I was thinking that there'd be no excitement. Makes me want to buy a Harley and start wearing more leather. Sam told me that Mark actually even has an electric leather outfit and gloves which he can plug in if he gets cold. How cool is that? But he said that he had the most amazing ride up here from Seattle. It took four days and it was sunny with not a cloud in the sky until he got 40 miles below fairbanks and then there was some light rain. Amazing for such a long trip. I'd like to do that some day. I'd imagine that the ride from Seattle to Fairbanks (central Alaska for those of you geographically challenged) woudl be one of the most scenic and beautiful rides ever. Mark said that he took 4 disposable cameras and used them all up...taking pictures of deer, caribou, moose, fox, elk...and also, right when he got over into the Alaska border he got bitten by a mosquito. Seems like all those annoying bugs love to give everyone a welcoming right away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home