Friday, August 09, 2002

AN UPDATE ON THE PAST TWO WEEKS

Whew. So my camping trip is over. But not my time in Alaska. I’m still here. Sitting in the Anchorage airport. Stuck here for all eternity...well, at least that’s what it feels like.

Travel Troubles
I was supposed to fly out at 12:45am this morning, but United had booked the plane 36 people over so there was really no reason for my to stand around and fly stand-by. Luckily Brad’s mom and sisters were on vacation in Anchorage and had booked a fancy hotel for the night. I embarassingly returned from the airport at 1am and drove with Brad to interupt their family vacation. I was thankful that I didn’t have to sleep in the airport for the night, instead sharing a very comfy queen size bed with Brad’s sister. I was also very thankful for a shower! Anyways, it’s now Saturday afternoon, I was supposed to have been in Portland by now greeting my family and preparing to depart on our family vacation to Central Oregon tomorrow morning. But that’s not going to happen. Instead I’m waiting for the next flight (there’s only one a day) and praying that I’ll be able to get on. At the moment (still hours before boarding) the flight is overbooked by 10 people. It looks doubtful that I’ll be able to get on. But I have to somehow! It seems impossible to leave Alaska. If I was to buy a flight home right now it is over $550. I called the bus companies and I would have to take a $156 bus to Canada, which leaves tomorrow morning at 5am and arrives in White Horse at 11pm Sunday night. Then the next Greyhound bus south to the states in at 1:30pm TUESDAY. So that won’t work at all. Option D: train. Still to work this out. I have a feeling that it’s going to be as crazy as the bus. And probably very expensive. The biggest problem is just that everything in Alaska seems to be independent so you can’t just take a greyhound bus straight somewhere, or an Amtrak train. You have to take the private Alaska service and then somehow switch over. Uggg. We’ll see how this goes. I just really really really really need to make it on this next plane in a few hours. If not then I’ll have to wait another 24 hours to try to make the next one (which is also overbooked!). Stand-by is no good. Also, once I get to Seattle I have to track down my luggage somehow (which was sent there on the plane last night) and find a way to the greyhound station then take a 9 hour or so ride to Sisters, Oregon to meet up with my family. Actually, I really shouldn’t complain. I don’t mind all this travel business all that much. It’s kinda like an adventure. But the part that I hate is spending so much money and wasting time in the airport when I’m supposed to be seeing my family and taking off on a relaxing vacation.

Cinnabon
Ok, the Cinnabon place is about 100 feet in front of me. So hard to resist. So hard to resist......... I can’t do this much longer.

The Last 7 Days
So what have I been up to? you may ask. Well, it’s been about a 1800+ mile road trip. And that’s right: I don’t drive. Good thing Brad loves to. Recap: Fairbanks to Circle Hot Springs to Eagle Summet (camping) to Circle Hot Springs to Fairbanks to Angel Rocks (camping) to Fairbanks. Then after a tour on the Riverboat Discovery and spending some time at one of Brad’s friend’s houses we picked up Blassi in North Pole and took off for Anchorage. It was a nice little 6 hour drive despite the constant rain. REI, new zipper pants converted to shorts (I’ve been wanting these for years!) and three new pairs of socks. cheap! Met up with Ty and his wife Heather. They are so nice. It was a short but very enjoyable visit. :o) On the advice of the REI girl we took the Seward Highway an hour along the Turnagain Arm to Portage Glacier to camp. What a beautiful drive, so much like the Columbia River Gorge! Mountains on both sides of the water. Snowy peaks, glacial formations, rivers, some waterfalls, with Turnagain Arm (ocean) separating the two sides.

Portage Glacier: Midnight entry, as always. rain rain rain. fog. 76 situps, the new record. waking up to puddles in the tent. And a glacier over the shoulder. Hiked up to Byron Glacier and all around on the ice and rocks. Storms coming in. Patterns of clouds. impressive. I hope the pictures turn out.

Kenai Salmon galore. I wish I had a rod and reel. And an out of state fishing liscense. Camping another night. In an already-soacked tent. The floor was drenched. Move an inch off of the sleeping pad and you’re in for trouble. So much for a good rain fly. ;o) Smoke and Fire. Gin and hearts. Sleeping in. Passed Poppy Penguins Upholstery Place, Salvation Army with the purchase of a Kenai penninsula Harley shirt and nice Levi’s cords pants. Expensive dipnets.

Dipnetting at the Mouth of the Kenai
Twenty foot poles, and huge huge huge nets. Shovel handals, sleds, coolers, buckets full of fish. And the smell of rotting salmon and halibut. Fish heads as you step onto the beach at the high water line. This is the life. Hundreds of people in the river. To their armpits with the strong current ready to topple them over and slick mud beneath their feet. Remember those salmon games from middle school? With the jump rope “turbine” and the playing tag to symbolize anglers. It’s true. Those salmon do have it hard. All the rivers were lined everywhere I looked with anglers, dipnetters, boaters. All waiting for the perfect catch. I wanted to join in the fun.
Postcard Pictureman
I met the postcard gentleman. At the Girdwood Gas Station, restocking the postcards-just for me, he said. I make 11,000 at a time. Gotta keep em restocked in the summer. Taken almost every picture, every postcard on the rack. Which were excellent, the perfect postcards I thought. So I tell him that Fairbanks is lacking, and he agrees. I tell him of the need for a postcard picture of downtown with the mountains and a sunset, or the moon he comments. I tell him take it from Esther Dome, but he says he has the perfect spot on Famers Loop Road all ready. OH yes, he has it all planned out. He just needs good weather. Can I bring it? No, I said, but I can sure bring the rain, I’m from Portland. OH!~ I used to do Oregon postcards too. The Oregon Coast. You know Tolovanna? Oh yes, I say, I’ve been there. Yah? I grew up there. Cannon Beach. Tolovanna Inn, I say. Oh yes, but you know, that used to be a swamp. I used to catch frogs and tadpoles there. Back in the day. You know what?-also the governor wanted to cut down on costs, didn’t want to build roads, so you know what he did?-said that the beach was a road, the highway, so people used to drive on the beach. That’s what we did when I was younger. Oh yes, I say, I’ve seen that. And driving around Hug Point at low tide, there are pictures of that, in black and white. I’ve seen them. Know what? Think about the streets in Cannon Beach: Galeena, Sitka, Talkeetna, they’re all Alaskan towns! You know, the person who named the streets in Cannon Beach must have loved Alaska. Awesome. Me too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home