Monday, July 12, 2004

A Brief Encounter with Russian Orthodoxy
This morning I went to the St. Innocent Cathedral for church. It was my first time attending a Russian Orthodox service, and although I was confused about some aspects of it (well, many aspect of it really), it was good. I went because two of the main villages that many of the students are from in the Program, Kalskag (sorta near Bethel, pop.250) and Tatitlek (pop.107) are both predominantly Russian Orthodox and so two of the students requested to attend services this morning and I volunteered to go with them. I didn't kiss the icons, light any candles, or kiss the father's hands, but I found all of this, as well as the singing and chanting (in English, Russian and Yupik) fascinating.
Everyone has such a different concept of worship and faith. It's interesting to me that there are so many ways to worship and form a community based on the same amazing God. Some people need the strict structure and physical reminders (kissing, acting, movement in the service, chanting, incense, candles, elaborate paintings and carvings, elegant chapels) of an orthodox faith, while others need an evangelical, more contemporary and laid-back approach to worshiping God. Both ways are valid and important for certain aspects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home