Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sweetest Day?

What is up? I've never heard of "Sweetest Day" before, but for some reason it's advertised all over radio and print mailings this week. My initial suspiscion was some kind of fake holiday that retailers, candymakers, and general profit-makers made up. And indeed this seems to be the case. Sweetest Day, a midwest/great lakes holiday, was started by a candy company employee in 1921*.

I'm not so sure how sweet of a day Sweetest Day is going to be for me this Saturday. It marks my first day of unemployment. Yesterday I found out that TriMet's payroll department has issues with me working remotely from another state, so my work contract cannot be renewed/extended. Tomorrow is my last day. So, this Saturday will be a day of Hmong backpack weaving and job applications for me!

*Although I seems it was originally started out of philanthropy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home