Sunday, June 23, 2002

Midnight Sun Run
I just finished running a 10k!!!! Hurray for summer solstice in Alaska. I love running at midnight. It's The Midnight Sun Run. I thought I was going to walk but I ended up running the entire way-- 6.2 miles in a little over 55 minutes. It was really fun. And actually the last two miles were very easy...I thought that I could run much longer. The fourth mile was the hardest of all but the crowd during the entire race was excellent. People lined the street and played their own guitars and sang, handed out water, put out lots of sprinkers, tons of squirt guns, blasted music. It seemed like everyone in town who wasn't running decided to throw a party and watch the run. It was very encouraging.
Our entire program decided to dress up. We bought hundred of dollars worth of tattoos, gel, hair-spray, hair coloring, body glitter, ribbons, color gel and many more hair accessories. And then went crazy dressing and decorating each other up. It was so much fun! I took some pictures of myslef, ask me later when I develop them to check them out....I think they'll be pretty cool. My hair was high and super poofy up on my head in a little bob-thing-a-ma-jig, with present-wrapping ribbons and gelled with tons of colors so my hair was stiff. My entire body had glitter all over on every piece of skin showing. I wore a blue leopard print tank top and purple shiny shorts. Many of the little girls along the run loved my attire..and I got lots of smiles and yells from the crowd.
Actually, one of the best parts of the night was returning back to the dorms where we ordered over $200 worth of pizza for everyone and then had a dance party in the basement of the dorm for two more hours. Some of the kids were wiped out and so tired that they just sat on the couches, but for the most part everyone was dancing like crazy....including all of us RE's. I had so much fun dancing around with the students. A great end to a tiring night. Hopefully everyone will sleep in this morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home