Sunday, January 05, 2003

Scary!
Ok, so this morning after church I picked up my key and RJ helped me move into my new apartment. I hooked up my computer and authenticated it, was online for an hour, then suddenly the internet stopped working and I kept trying to get back on, but I never could. Finally, a few hours later, I used my roommate's computer to check my email and here is part of a message I get:
"We noticed some odd traffic coming from your dorm room computer in
the last few days. Upon closer inspection, we have noticed that your
system appears to have been compromised by a remote
attacker or a worm such as the Opaserv worm. You should now consider
your computer and everything on it to be controllable by this attacker
.
We have removed your computer from the network in order to minimize
the amount of damage this attacker can do to you, your computer, our
network, and other networks across the Internet.
You will most likely need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall
your operating system from scratch before we will allow your machine
back on the network.
We strongly urge you to consider changing any passwords you may have
typed into your computer over the last several weeks (online banking,
registrar, etc.). It is common to see attackers install software
programs to obtain such information and transmit it back to a remote
site.
"
I am so freaked out. How did this happen? How can I fix this? Yikes! I hope they can't get to my bank account.....
to add to the drama my closet door is broken, and my authcode doesn't work for some reason (meaning that I can't make outgoing calls). Ahhhhhhhhhh. This hasn't been a good week. But things can only get better, right? ;o) Let's hope so with classes starting tomorrow morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home