Friday, February 21, 2003

In celebration of not writing my bio short response paper right now (Erin convinced me to skip it today) I've decided to actually dedicate some time to this blog--which I haven't done in such a very long time. Thinking back over the past few weeks of this winter quarter I'm beginning to realize how lucky I have it right now. It's my easiest quarter academically so far, no tragic personal circumstances have arisen, I have the most free time I've ever had at school, I am not forced to work, I'm actually sleeping a good amount each night, I have a great apartment and [for the most part] I'm eating at least two meals a day--just to name a few things. I feel like this is going to be on of the last times in my life when I'm so free and have it so easy-going.
I've never been really nervous about the future before. Besides of course trying to decide which college to attend. Although that was a very important choice in my future it was only a hard choice in choosing which college, not whether I would attend college or not. So up until now I have pretty much had a set plan for what I would do. People ask me all the time what I'm going to do with a geophysical science B.S. I used to say that I was going to go on in academia and be a volcanologist, and study earthquakes, and be some sort of geologist. But now I'm not so sure. I would still *love* to continue studying geophysical science. I would be happy going to graduate school at the University of Washington or Oregon State continuing on. But at the same time I feel like my direction is changing a little. And maybe graduate school in geophysical science isn't the right plan for me. I feel called in the direction of public service. In helping others. In building strong communities and mediating conversations between different groups of people. In teaching and being a leader helping others out who are less fortunate than I am. To help kids get to college and flourish. To encourage environmental sustainability, more public transportation, and better living conditions. And so many other things. How can I encorporate all of this together? Somehow there must be a way to combine my love of science and my desire to help other people. If anyone figures this out, let me know.
More than anything I really want to participate in the Summer Links Program this summer. It's funny, because after coming to the University of Chicago (and even before I got here) I kept saying that there was absolutely no way that I would ever stay in Chicago one second longer than was necessary. I love going to school here, but I really don't like the midwest so much. I like Chicago as a city and it's great to be here for a few months out of the year, but there's always this enormous indescribable strong urge to return to the Pacific Northwest whenever possible. I *love* Portland, Oregon. Almost more than anything else in the world. I have enormous respect for the people there, the beauty of the surrounding land is overwhelming, the climate is perfect, the city the perfect size and perfectly located. Even after traveling around, the Mt. Tabor neighborhood is the one that I cherish most in the world--of course this has to do with me growing up there, but it also just has this peaceful, community-oriented and friendly feel to it that so many other visiting friends have commented to me about. Portland is where my best friends are, so many amazing places... it's where my heart is and always will be. But for some reason this summer I feel like my place to be is in Chicago. Even though at the same time I really don't want to stay here, I just know that it's the right thing to do for me right now. It's hard to explain why I feel this way. And I'm not even sure why. But I just do. I applied for the Summer Links Program at the very last second (about a day and a half before it was due) and somehow have made it into the interview round. 75 of us have interviews and there are only 30 chosen to be participants. Keep your fingers crossed for me. This would be one of the most amazing programs ever if I get accepted. At the same time though I have also applied to the Metcalf Fellows Program for one internship already, and am deliberating whether I should apply for more [which are due Monday, and they would be to work at the Smithsonian this summer]. Also, I'm definitely keeping the possibility open of going back to the University of Alaska--Fairbanks to work for Upward Bound once again. I had one of the most awesome summers being in Alaska in June and July, I would be honored to work there again for the Classic program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home