Tuesday, December 09, 2003

100 Hours of Cuddling Babies between now and Graduation!
I just had my inteview with the Volunteerism director of the UofC Hospitals and it rocked! He was a lot of fun to talk to, and now I'm actually going to attend the 5:30-9:00 training this evening!
This means that I have have two and half hours between then and now to actually start studying today and grab some food. This also means that I will be missing 24 this evening, not going caroling, and will be stuck in the Reg concentrating on Mineralogy for a very long time. But oh well, soon next quarter I'll be cuddling babies in the prenatal unit!
Update: The 3.5 hour training wasn't so bad, although the videos we had to watch were dry and of low quality. But I guess that's what you have to suffer through for the safety test videos. It was fun to meet the 27 other new volunteers for that week. There were two things that surprised me: One was that one person has volunteered over 28,000 hours! Two was a little get-to-know-you excersize. I had done it many times before in Middle School. You put your name in the middle of the paper, then put four "ing" words surrounding your name that describe you (such as thinking, helping, etc) and then in the four corners of the paper you put your desired goal in life (Blues Musician, Teacher, Psycologist, Lawyer, etc), your favorite food, your favorite musical artist, and a sign that represents you. The desired person you want to be was the first category that we were given, and we only had a moment or two to write something down. A few things flashed through my head, but didn't really click: geophysicist, teacher, community leader. But in the end the two things stood out, one of which surprised me. Of all the things in the entire world that I want to be the one that is the greatest to be desired is: mother. The second I put down: mentor.
Now that the application, interview, and general orientation is out of the way all I have left is to get two TB tests, a drug test, a criminal background check, a blood test, my ID card, and then a prenatal unit orientation. Then I'm all set to cuddle away! Hopefully I'll be all done with this stuff by the end of January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home