Tuesday, April 20, 2004

The Good:

  • It rained, lightly and softly. making the grass GREEN!
  • I decided this afternoon, that I want to be a Doula, and I'm inspired to write my final paper on the Chicago Doula Program, which I just found out about today, and it's AWESOME.
  • Kate wore her red tights!
  • I just watched 24
  • I just got a GMail account, which is now my 6th active email account
  • The TORNADO WARNING that flashed on the tv screen multiple times from the National Weather Service telling me that I better get prepared for Cook county to be hit scared me, but in the end South Chicago wasn't hit (although the town of Utica, Illinois is now wiped out)
  • I understand my body in terms of bio-medicine a little better
  • GeoUnion is getting tshirts, and boy do i love tshirts, especially nerdy ones
  • I was content all day long today. There was just something so good about the day. It especially started off well. I woke up--extremely awake--at 6amish, which usually is NOT my idea of fun. I was really confused because I'm not the type of person who wakes up in the middle of the night...I'm a straight-sleeper. So waking up was rather odd. I thought right away that something must be wrong, so I looked out my window. The sunrise. Gorgeous. Pink/purple/golden, amazing. It just sat up in bed in awe admiring the show and watched the sun peek out all golden over Lake Michigan. It was as if God was trying to comfort me. And it worked.

The Not-So-Good:
  • Health & Healing Across Cultures really sucked today. however nice and sweet she is, the instructor doesn't know how to lead a good discussion and it was a painful class to sit through. 30 people and dead silence for half the time.
  • Decisions, decisions. I am still at a toss-up with my concept of medicine. When is it good and when is it bad? It just seems to me that so many things are over-prescribed these days and people put no stake in their own body or healthy habits to help them get better. My current motto on health is don't put anything into your body (Rx drugs, etc) unless it absolutely needs to be there. But my line on this has gotten fuzzy. I really don't take any medications at all, except when I absolutely have to...as in having an asthma attack or severe cramps...and only when I can't bear the pain or when I am almost to the point of not breathing. I don't know where I came up with this idea, I think it's partially because I've just never really been sick or hurt and have not needed "traditional medicine". It's also because I was mentored for a while by a Native American Healer who taught me about medicinal plants and teas. I've just always placed a lot of stake in nature and the natural process of healing. I'm really interested in naturopathic and holistic medicine, although I've never actually been to a naturopathic clinic. Hmm. I don't think I'm making much sense or explaining my views. I should attempt again in the near future when I have more time and energy to actually say something clear and thought-provoking. But basically I need to make a health decision soon and I'm confused. I feel like medicine (not ALL of medicine, but just some aspects of it) is almost an invasion on my body, so it's kinda scary. ok, enough about that for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home