Thursday, September 09, 2004

Frenzy
I feel like my life is in overdrive right now. There's not time to do anything. With sleeping 8 hours a night and working 40 hours a week (48 hours this week to make up for missing Monday) there's barely time to eat & shower it seems. I don't know why this is, but I've been so agitated. I want to do so much: read, beadwork, photography, organizing my room and scrapbooking, crafts, bike, tennis & more. But I haven't even had time to do any of this stuff. As it is I still have boxes full of junk from college waiting to be unpacked, my room is a mess (still!), I haven't finished my graduation thank-you notes, and there are letters that I desperately need to write to people. Everything I need to do seems to be in shambles.

And on top of it all is applying for jobs. The issue that looms over my head constantly: employment. Scary. Yesterday I finally got around to applying to three GIS jobs with Metro, the City of Hillsboro, and and independent company. The Hillsboro temporary part-time position I have a pretty good shot of getting it (I think). Cross your fingers. But do I really want to trek out there each week? And it's not even more than 6 months. But at the same time I think at this point in life I would enjoy working half time. There are so many volunteer positions around Portland that I really want to be involved in, but the way I'm living now it just seems impossible. We'll see. There are about 10 more jobs that I really want to apply to in the next two weeks, non-GIS related, more in the education/community/non-profit sector that really interest me. It's just a matter of finding the time to sit down and tweak my resume and write cover letters for each individual place. Sometime between the wedding at my house this weekend and Nicole's on the 25th I need to find time to get down to business.

The other things that I really want to do are to bike more and explore the city using public transportation. Working at TriMet I get free rides everywhere, but I've actually only been on the bus twice in the last month! It's hard to pass up an offer for a ride to and from work that is 8 minutes by car, than taking the bus which is 60 minutes. But if I combine biking with the bus I might be able to get it down to 40 minutes, or just plain biking the whole way would also probably be around 40 minutes. But with no time already, it's hard to give up an hour & a half a day just to bike to work, plus I don't have an adequate bike lock at the moment. I think what I need is a bike buddy to hold me accountable to bike with each morning. That would be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home