Monday, February 11, 2008

i'm wasting my evening on facebook and myspace. but reuniting...and it feels so good (cue sappy music). i love finding random friends from years past. and seeing their cute babies.

anyways, it's COLD here in madison. nothing new. more snow. more ice. currently 4 degrees, which felt even colder after doing water aerobics and walking a half mile to the bus to wait. we were only a mile or so from our house, but in weather like this (and darkness) it's so much better to be on a warm bus for those four stops.

i joined the uw gyms. $75 for jan-may is so cheap--although not joining a gym, like i've done for the rest of my life is even cheaper. i paid an extra $20 for the group x classes, which means i can drop in to any of the group fitness classes whenever i want. today i tried deep water aerobics (60 min) and it was a good workout. soon, i will try spinology (spinning) for the first time.

also, i played raquetball for the first time ever yesterday. finally putting those blue rubber balls to use that i got for christmas. :o) it was crazy! i had the general swing of things coming from a tennis background, but other things made my mind spin. like the idea that there are four walls to bounce off of. i could tackle the front one (the most important), and the sides were ok, but wrapping my mind about the wall behind me? that didn't happen. the ball would bounce off the back and I would flail my raquet around in vane...i just couldn't connect. and then the concept of a tinier raquet was also lost on me, over and over and over I kept swinging and hitting the top rim. Or, i'd be in place, swing nicely and whiff it. paul got a good laugh. ;o)

what a fun new sport to learn. and it's definitely a full body workout. i am sore today, especially my right arm. of course, i got all sweaty, tired, and gross just by our warm-up and four matches, but paul (playing with his left hand) beat me every time with not a drop of sweat. i am completely out of shape.

new (attainable, small, first-step) health goals:
*go to the gym at least twice a week (as opposed to never, which is a big step)
*lose 5lbs (long term goal is 15)
*run a 5k in march
*keep a record of my workouts (not only to encourage myself, but to get points from our health insurance and win stuff, also make sure paul goes so that we can be reimbursed $200 at the end of the year).
*think about eating healthier, and act upon this at least 50% of the time
*cut down on dairy even more
*act upon my urges to get outside and go walk around the neighborhood even if i can't rile up the husband or cousin to come with me (ie, once it's not a sheet of ice and gets about 15 degrees, walk to the library and trader joes)

chicken update: we're at 7 eggs from sterling now, she's almost to her first dozen!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home