Thursday, May 02, 2002

The Hot Chocolate Club. I think it's one of the best ideas in the world! And it's now an official RSO (registered student organization) with the university. I'm so proud of Hannah for starting it, and a bit jealous that I didn't start it first. ;o) I can't wait to join. It's a club promoting the drinking of hot chocolate as a stress reliever and as a way to get more socialization on campus. They are going to make cups and put free hot chocolate packets in them to hand out at the new student orientation, they're planning a trip to a soup kitchen to help serve meals and then hand out hot chocolate, and also go on field trips. The sad thing is that because I am going away to study in India next autumn quarter and Hannah will be studying abroad winter quarter in South Africa we won't be seeing each other again until spring. I'm really going to miss our Bible study next year. I feel like we've grown pretty close these last few meetings. I'm going to especially miss rj, it hasn't really sunk in that he's going to graduate and leave until just tonight. :o(

On a completely different note, reading Jen's blog really stirred up something in me tonight. It's so true. The way our university seems to just shove our problems under the rug and try to keep it low-key. Suicide is such a huge problem here. And though the number of suicides has been "down" in the past year (ie. we actually didn't have one last year) this problem should not be ignored. Resources need to be put in place for people to be able to communicate thier problems so they will not have to resort to such horrible measures. I have dealt with suicidal-minded friends, friends with depression, friends going through terrible times. Just being there and being a resource to vent, and also a resource for my friends to come to so I can refer them to someone else (and tell someone when I think that they're in a dangerous mental suicidal position), I believe, has saved lives. Friends are important. Just basic talking and open communication is essential. Caring, loving, listening people need to be in place when someone needs to reach out. The University of Chicago's Niteline should not have been closed down, our counseling should be much more accessable, there needs to be a better support system in our university. Reacting to the suicides in our university community should not be silence, there should be discussion, the problem needs to be brought to the surface, out in the open and addressed so that we at least attempt to stop these tragedies! And the problem needs to be communicated in a straightforward, respectable manner, not how the campus newspapers presented this present one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home