Sunday, April 28, 2002

Today I went to the Indiana Dunes to go "hiking" (read: walking around on a very well-marked and wide trail with 14 other people with umbrellas). It was raining the entire time, which made the trip of expected 45 deminished to about 16 who actually came. The busride was long ~1 hour. But it was cool cuz I met this really amazing girl from Ancorage, AK who is now a first-year here at the UofC, although she took a year off to travel around South America. I hope I get a chance to hang out with her more in the future.

It's so strange seeing the world through a schoolbus. Such a different perspective. Big seats, walled off from others, foggy little windows which you wipe off so you can peer out of a little circle, with streams of water making patterns on the glass. You feel so small, so apart from the world. Such an outsider.

The Dunes were cool, I guess. It was softly raining the whole time we were there. I have missed the sound and feel of the rain on the trees, on my face, on the water. It felt *so good* I cannot put it to words. I just can't help but praise God for nature, for the rain, for the beauty of the earth, even in the midwest. ;o)

Dinner was with the E.C.O. Club with the free vegan Indian dinner. Yum. But there was this speaker that came who was completely full of it. He made me angry. If he had looked at me through his talk he would have seen a strern frown permanently on my face throughout his rediculous talk. He did make some good points about the connection between veganism and vegetarianism and its impact on the environment, but he also made some dumb comments that were just unbelieveable that made me discredit anything out of his lips. It was a sad end to a good dinner.

Coming back to my dorm room, I noticed that Theresa, Amy, Anthony, Claire, and Sunmi were all online! So we went into a chatroom and talked for a while. It was an electronic reunion, and felt *sooooooo good* to talk to them all again, and I had talked to Jordan earlier in the day. Did I mention how much I miss friends from home? I almost cried.

My lovely night came to an end by walking over in the middle of a giant thunderstorm to Parker's Apt. to celebrate Jen's birthday. The gang had gone to K-town (Korean town, which I never even knew existed until 2 days ago!) for dinner, but I wasn't able to go because of the eco dinner, so I decided to join them for a little after-party. A little chattin, a little Gladiator watchin, a very very few satisfying hugs from/givento Parker, and a little picture takin action with Ruthie and Parker's webcamera. Maybe when I figure out how to post them I'll put some on this weblog. And, as a humorous good-bye present Parker decides to play my "favorite song", Wasn't Me. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was afraid that it would be stuck in my head forever after that. But luckily I had a pleasant walk in the rain all the way back to the dorm, and even passed one gentleman carrying his shoes in one hand. I looked down and realized he was walking around barefoot feeling the water on his toes. It made me smile. Well, for now, I must sleep. So tired. (but what's new?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home