Wednesday, May 22, 2002

INDIA
Today I had my second India Study Abroad meeting and I'm sooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooooo incredibly excited to go! My group of people who I will soon be traveling with (12 girls, 4 guys) seem very cool, and the classes that I will be taking really interest me. I'll be having 4 classes: Beginning Hindi, Sacred Texts and Religions (which will be focusing on Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainishm, Sikhism, and Islam), State and Society in Contemporary India, and History and Place in South India. That fourth class is actually more of an archaeology class and we'll be traveling for 3 weeks to some amazing ancient cities including: Bangalore, Hospet, Bijapur, Badami, Goa, and then we'll head back to Pune. Also, the assignments that I know about so far seem awesome (for instance the final for my Sacred Texts and Religions class will be mingling with the locals and picking a family or a certain person and writing about their ideas/beliefs/practices and my impressions--cool huh!) and the readings look a little time consuming but very interesting. There's so much to look forward to. But right now I really need to find a cheap ticket to Mumbai/Bombay. I'm a little angry because when I first looked on Orbitz the ticket was only $1200, but the head of the study abroad programs here said that he heard from a travel agent that the prices to India usually drop the beginning of June and we should really be patient and hold off buying a ticket. But the past couple of days I've been checking again and the prices have gone up to $1450, which I'm told is still a good price. But I just wish I had bought my ticket already and saved a couple hundred dollars. I'm crossing my fingers that the prices will fall as predicted, but I'm skeptical. If anyone knows of a really good travel agent or any place that I can get a cheap roundtrip ticket from Chicago to Mumbai/Bombay please tell me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home