Friday, October 18, 2002

Delhi
I'm here. And Delhi isn't as intimidating as everyone said it would be. Surprisingly both the Pune and Delhi airports were quite nice, and on the two hour flight over here it was so excellent, and good food too! Once we landed all eight of us got a taxi/van for 50Rs each and we drove to our hotel, which is near the New Delhi Trainstation. We shoved our minimal baggage into our rooms and immediately walked on over to the train station to arrange our travel info for tomorrow. And the headache began. We went in circles going through all these people to get tickets. It was a nightmare, and over an hour later we were ready to punch someone. I'll spare you all the details, but in the end we only have a one way ticket to Agra (where the Taj Mahal is located). The trains comin back are full for the next few days. So it's a bit sketchy how we're going to return to Delhi on Sunday. Hopefully we'll head on over to the train station and just go standby, or else try to get a bus. Yikes.
Mosque
Six of us walked to this absolutely amazing mosque today. I forget the name, but it was so incredibly impressive. About a 20 minute adventure walk from where we're staying (and on the way Obie even got hit by a car!). We arrived just as the sun was setting, so only had about 20 minutes inside (prayers start at sunset). It was so worth it. I took a lot of pictures, although I felt really stupid and stood out like a sore thumb doing so. But oh well, I couldn't resist. I really hope that they turn out. Since it was sunset it was getting pretty dark, but to be respectful I turned off my flash.
Best Purchase Yet..
I finally found a Hindi Alphabet Poster! 15Rs. Hurray!

Agra
Off to the Taj Mahal tomorrow morning. 3 hour train ride. There is talk of also going to visit an acient city- now ghost town nearby, but I think my plan is to just chill tomorrow. I really need a break, time to relax. I'm looking forward to a peaceful rest on the lawn in front of the Taj tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home