Saturday, June 21, 2003

My First Day Off
I get one day off a week, from 1pm on Thursday, until 4pm on Fridays. I remember my first day off last summer--I slept for about 18 hours. I was so tired I couldn't even help it. But last night I didn't end up sleeping much more than I usually do. I watched three movies in my room: Brown Suger, Kissing a Fool, and Love Jones: all chic flicks. Then this afternoon after lunch I walked over to Beaver Sports to buy/checkout some hiking boots and also sandals (I had a very misfortunate incident around a campfire Memorial Day weekend and melted my beloved Tevas). But get this. I tried on at least 9 or 10 different pieces of footwear and not a single one in the whole store fit my tiny and narrow feet. They had NO shoes for me....and I think that the salesboy was getting a little irritated. I hate shoe shopping, I can never find anything that fits. Being a size 5 sucks. I'm right in the middle of the little kids and women's (they usually start at 6). The other sad highlight of the day: I went to the UAF Rasmusen Library and the librarian actually told me that I should go out and buy some books that I wanted in a certain subject. And then I told him (in gentler words) how pathetic this library is!
It seems like I have no problem whining about stuff every day here. And this blog seems to have turned into a forum for me to voice my complaints. On the one hand it's nice for me to get it all out, but on the other I had being so negatively vocal about everything. I need to step back and look at my blessings of the day too--and despite some conflicts, there have been many things that I am happy about. returning staff. three meals a day. fuzzy soft-voiced phone calls late at night. sleeptime. beautiful weather. alaskan native culture. beaming smiles. way too much clothes. my own room. the ethernet and my laptop. a full address book and nice stationary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home