Thursday, October 02, 2003

More Letdowns
You know, when you think things are finally on a roll and starting to look up, it's the most opportune time for something to smack you back down. Murphy's Law. My day was looking up. My first BioDiversity Lab was actually pretty fun. I measured the length and diameter of about 13 Mammalian femurs and then 3 dinosaur femurs (tyranasaurus, triceratops!), did a little analysis, and then gave a little presentation to my lab class (which is all girls, surprisingly). Jeremy bought me dinner because my meal plan still has not been changed by the housing office, and eating back at Pierce was actually a real treat. Dorm food really isn't that bad. AND, the best part of my day. Coming back after dinner to an empty apartment. Read=time to clean and have my room all to myself. First things first, I grabbed my laundry and headed downstairs. Recently I've been seen around campus in the "leftovers" of my closet since all of my pants and numerous needed other pieces of clothes have been sitting in my field course bag unopened and very dirty. So, happily I put three loads in the washer, then the dryer. All the while spending the extra time in between catching up on emails in the computer lab, chatting on AIM and buying online my Mineralogy textbook at a very cheap price. I was pretty content with my day at that moment, and was anxious to finally organize the rest of my room and clothes into place. But, standing outside of my 5C room and inserting my key into the lock I see the lock spinning with the turn of the key. This is not a good sign. The door will NOT unlock, and the doorknob will not turn at all. Crap. I'm locked out and now sitting in the computer lab until Maintanence comes (soon I hope) to let me back in.

Update: I'm back in my room. It's 11:20, marking exactly 4 hours of being locked out. Maintenance came and could not get in. My RH tried for 20 minutes to unlock the door with no success. I tried for more than an hour. After Maintenance came and failed you know what the school officials told my RHs? That they were going to send someone in the morning, and that we were to sleep in the lounge, or on the floor somewhere. What?!?! They would actually do that to us? I couldn't believe it. Luckily, my RH wouldn't take that as an answer and tried to call someone higher up to find a better solution (such as the school dolling out the big $$ to get a 24 hour locksmith to break open our lock). Eventually we got through to this lady who said that we could stay in the guest rooms at the Shoreland. She had called over there and they had them ready and waiting for us, she even took down all our names. That made me a bit more relieved, at least I would have a bed for the night. But everything else was still inside my room which I needed for the morning. Sylve, one of my roommate came back to the apartment around 10pm and when she too couldn't get in came over to sit with me in the RHs apartment. Eventually, around 11pm two guys who were friends of the Maintenance guy (we really have no idea who they are) who were skilled at breaking open locks came and busted open our door. Sylvie and I breathed a sigh of relief, and they guys explained that the lock was completely broken. They had dismanteled it piece by piece and had taken it out of the door, so right now we have a hole where our lock should be. After a ton of thankyous I walked into the apartment and over to my room. To my surprise, my door was closed--not how I had left it. I opened it to find my roommate Karin sitting at her computer!!!! She had just woken up from a long long nap. Apparently, she had come back to the apartment just minutes before I came up and was locked out and had immediately fallen asleep. Even after my repeated knocking and lock key hassling, Maintenance coming and the RHs trying to get in, Sylvie trying to get in and knocking loudly, AND then guys dismantling our entire lock...she hadn't heard a thing! Jetlag really does knock you out. What a crazy ridiculous night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home