Tuesday, October 07, 2003

What a Morning
I'm exhausted and it's only 10:30am. This morning I was on a mission to buy an organizer for my room and to get back to campus by 10am for my advisor appointment. I called last night and the convienant downtown store was out of stock, so I had to make my way up to Lincoln Park on the North side. When I stepped outside my apt building I missed the 6 bus by only a few seconds. Then, picking up the next one at 8:10 we got stuck in traffic a bit. Transfering to the red line I had to put more $ on my CTA card, so I missed the train by seconds also. Three southbound trains flew by before the northbound red line came shooting through the tunnel under state street. I get to BedBathandBeyond at exactly 9am only to find that this particular store has changed its hours and does not open unti 9:30. I stood in the doorway looking pretty sad I guess, because when one of the workers saw me he motioned and asked if I wanted to get in. He unlocked the door and welcomed me inside (it was only about 9:05 or so). A female worker walked over looking shocked, "Did you know that only managers can unlock the doors?! You weren't supposed to do that." My salesperson looked scared "Oh my gosh, I didn't know, I didn't know. Please don't tell. Don't tell the manager." He guided me around a showcase and we looked back towards where the office of the store was located. A glaring face was directed in our direction. He leaves me to wait as he walks back to talk to her for a few seconds looking super scared and nervous, then comes and tells me that I can stay. We maneuver through people still setting up the store and he leads me to what I need and then walks quickly back to the front of the store telling me to "take my time". Unfortunately the color I wanted was under a pile of stuff about 5 feet thick, so I had to dig it out under heavy stuff. I hear "All workers come to the front for the morning huddle". Eventually I find what I need and head towards the front. I didn't really want to disturb the meeting, but I was set on booking it back to Hyde Park as fast as possible, so I literally walked through the middle of their meeting to the cash registers and someone stepped out of the huddle to help me. $13 later I was happy, although lugging a heavy awkward shape organizer back to the El. I transfered to the 6 at 8:40 and thought that I might be golden still--able to get back to Hyde Park by 10 and be only a little bit late. Nope. I came to the my advisor's office all hot and dripping with sweat and much too late to talk. Darn. I hope Mineralogy lab goes better than my morning has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home