Thursday, May 31, 2007

The chicks have arrived! They somehow got stuck in the mail so they came a day late, but all were fine in the order. The only problem is that one of my four has a bad left leg. I hope that it will heal. She's limping on it, but is still very resiliant.

The little fuzzballs are amusing. It's hard not to smile and laugh at them. They eat and then fall asleep mid-bite with their head in the food. They flop down and roll over occasionally. They fall asleep standing up, with their head slowly falling, and then wake themselves up again, yawn, and nod off falling asleep again all in a span of 3 seconds. They run and try to flap their fuzzy wings. They fight over prize piece of wood chips.

My Rhode Island Red is being a rascal though. All four chicks were being all lovey-dovey and friendly towards each other all day long (I monitored them for 6 hours) and then I take a 40 minute break to head to Home Depot this evening and when I come back the RIR is suddenly a bully. She runs at the other chicks whenever they are eating or drinking or playing with something. No matter what the others are doing, if they are awake, she wants to get in on the action. So she's constantly running around to the other three being mean. I put her in time out and gave her a couple of taking toos but I don't think she listens. ;o) Hopefully she'll grow out of it. I know that there will always be a pecking order, but I just hope she doesn't turn out too mean (or maybe she is actually a he??).

I did a chick photo shoot but the camera battery died and now I can't find the battery charger or the memory card reader. I know that they must be around here somewhere though....

OH! And Portland was great. 10 days of vacation. I'll have to blog about that later...goodnight all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home