Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I am sitting in front of a wonderful fire right now in the living room. Paul just left to head to the office on campus to work on his research proposal and a paper....he is having a very busy week.

This weekend was wonderful. Ethan, Nicole and their extremely fun 10 month old baby Cohen came to visit. Gosh, I miss him so much. Cohen is the happiest friendliest baby I've ever seen. He is truly so fun to hang out with. And great to cuddle. :o) I wish we lived closer so that I could babysit.

We spent a lot of time just hanging out at the house, having a fire, playing lots of Settlers of Catan and Rummicube, along with Phase 10. We were in full game mode and at some points it got a little heated, but it was fun. One day we took a long walk to Picnic Point and back (around 7 miles?)....it was 3.5 hours of nonstop walking. We were all pretty tired but it was a gorgeous day and the lake and the trees were so pretty to see. Plus, we walked past the Frank Lloyd Wright Unitarian Meeting House that's a few blocks from our house so Ethan could view it.

This morning I went outside before work and found another egg in the nest box. This time I picked it up and it was super warm; I think Penny had just laid it a few moments before. The egg was a little bigger than the others, bit by bit they are starting to get larger. Ethan, Paul and I ate our first fresh eggs together. We fried some up for breakfast on Monday and they tasted good. I kept hearing people say that homegrown fresh eggs are unbelievable and 100 times better than store bought, but at this point I can't tell much of a difference. I did break open a store bought egg and saw that the yolks were slightly different colors, and of course my pullet eggs are slightly smaller, but other than that they seemed and tasted about the same. Maybe the fresh eggs will taste differently once I go to Farm & Fleet to buy some Layer Feed which has higher protein. I should do that soon.

Yesterday morning we drove to Chicago, reaching downtown around 11:30. We parked underground at Millenium Park and then took an Architecture Cruise along the Chicago River. We did a little shopping at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack (two stores that Wisconsin is sorely lacking), where I bought myself the most adorable watch on earth. It took me a while before I decided to purchase it because it was a little pricey, but I'm in love with it. LOVE it. so much. The best birthday present to myself ever. Here's a bad photo I found online. It's L.A.M.B and white and shiny mother-of-pearl and silver.

We visited the bean, aka Cloud Gate at Millenium Park. Years ago when I heard that a giant metal jellybean was going to be erected in the new park I was very skeptical, but now it's become one of my favorite destinations. Not only is it fun to walk around to see the reflected skyline as well as distorted mirror images of yourself, it's also such a great people-watching spot. While we were there yesterday we saw a young couple in love kissing and taking a photo of their reflection, some international symphony group with about 100 students all dressed up, babies, old folks, everyone was admiring the bean and having a good time. This was the least-crowded I've seen it, and even so it definitely grabbed everyone's attention. Frank Gehry's pavilion was also neat to see again.

At the airport I almost cried saying goodbye to Cohen. I didn't want them to leave, and I know that next time I see him he'll be so big! He's already on the cusp of walking and talking. I miss that little guy (and of course his parents too!) so much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

you stinker. you come to chicago and you don't tell me!! jk. your house is so perdy kristy and paul's hair is so luxurious!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home