Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This past week has been a good one. Friday night Paul and I went over to Cynthia's for a game night with some of her friends and got to see her new fabulous house. Unfortunately her partner Paul was in Korea because his father recently passed away, but I hope we can see him next time. Game night was really fun. Cynthia had invited many of her past and present coworkers (all cooks) so we had some great appetizers, and wine, and played taboo as a group. I did come to the crazy realization though, that I am finally an "adult". It was the kid in the next room watching her kid movie while the parents/adults did their own secret thing in the next room that got to me. I remember when that was me! But no more. I'm the one hanging out with the 30 and 40 year olds and no longer playing hide and seek in the back room.

Saturday Paul's parents flew in from Connecticut and drove directly up to Madison from Ohare with Paul's grandparents. His gparents saw our house for the first time, and everyone admired the chickens and the coop.

Saturday evening we drove down to Chicago and arrived in Hyde Park just in time for a feast prepared by Ruthie: quiche, wine, salad, and chocolate chip cookies! mmmmm. Then scrabble before bed. It was Paul's first time back in Chicago since graduation. A bit surreal, even though we didn't spent much time at all in HP. Sunday morning we had brunch at Lula Cafe in Logan Square. After lots of samosas we headed to Wheaton and played card games with paul's aunts, uncles, parents and cousins until late in the evening. I've been in such a gaming mood recently...it's fun.

Monday morning we verified that our monster egg was indeed a double-yolker when we cracked it open to fry it (and: we got another monster egg over the weekend!). It's fun to have fresh brown eggs to share now. It'll be much better once the other two gals start laying.

This evening was one of the best dinners I've had in a long while. Oriol came over and we used our fine china/wedding place settings for the first time. It was lovely. Paul went all out making dinner, with acorn-squash-stuff-with wild rice, spices, carrots and cranberries, along with a roast chicken (quorn for him). And for desssert....baklavah. Oh my goodness, on Monday evening Paul's parents bought baklavah* as a surprise for us and it is probably the best I've ever tasted. We had some still, so we split two huge pieces.

Since Paul and I are generally cake-adverse, we exchanged bites of baklavah at our Portland wedding reception. One thing I forgot to mention, because I had forgot myself, was that Monday was our two year anniversary! I took off Monday because Paul's parents were in town, not realizing that it was the 12th. So it was a double celebration and a good day off.

2 years of marriage. Has it really been that long? It certainly doesn't feel like it. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband. Life would be so different without him.

Halfway through writing this post I made a super impulse buy. I ordered this absolutely neat calendar. I was going to recommend it to others, but at this point it's already almost out of stock. Only one left, better act fast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruthie Hansen said...

It was so great having you guys here! Come back soon!! I'm also loving dinner parties and board games right now... seems so right in this crisp fall weather. :)

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home