Thursday, May 16, 2002

Another whirlwind of a day with a bit of drama. Went to bed at 5am after hearing the birds chirping outside and realized studying physics will do me no good if I don't have at least 3 hours of sleep. The physics midterm was ugly. Terrible. And let's just leave it at that. Trying to unwind I walked by Hutch and ran into the lovely Parker. I sat outside Hutch for a while with him on the grass, and we listened to this really cool folky band perform. They had a bunch of guitars, some banjos, violin, a bass, and a guitar which I forget the word for. It was one of those guitars that you plan flat if you know what I mean. And then, this guy just whipped out a SAW and started playing it with his violin bow. It was amazing. He first played "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and then went into another fun lively song with the rest of the band. I was very impressed. Just an old rusty saw can make some pretty neat music. ... Walking back up University Ave. I ran into Arline! I love randomly seeing Arline! *hug* (oh, sidenote, Ruthie just IMed me and told me that the saw I was just mentioning is called a Dobro, and her dad plays one, pretty cool!). I was really really interested in seeing this movie called "Promises" which is part of FOTA (the Festival of the Arts) this week. It's a film exploring the Arab-Israeli conflict through the eyes of seven Israeli and Palestinian children living in Jerusalem. And following it was going to be a talk by B.Z. Goldberg (who I am think is the director and writer). I was even going to skip my IM soccer game today to attend, and even when it was absolutely gorgeous weather. But sadly, as I planned my day around this event, it moved locations and was changed to a different hour. Blah. So I went to the soccer game on the midway. We're in the graduate league/bracket for some reason this year. But it's better. We have decent competition and it's fun once you get the hang of dodging the trees that overhang into the field and make lots of obstacles. Today we played the Pritzer (the medical school) graduate team. So I scored a goal, and was having a lot of fun in the game. It was almost halftime, when the girl on the other team near me somehow tripped and fell going after the ball. She kept rolling and started to yell. Obviously in pain, she told eveyone that crowded around that she tore her ACL. I guess that she had done this in the past and had already had surgery. Scary scary. So they called 911, called an ambulence. The fire truck nearby came, the police came, but 30 minutes later when I had to leave to go to GeoUnoin, still no ambulence. I can understand that it's not an emergency, but still. We were playing right in front of the hostpital, you'd think it wouldn't be that big of a deal. So that was the crazy soccer team. The other team ended up forfeiting. But hey, I was happy I got to score and to play a little at least. I just felt sooo soo bad for that girl. GeoUnion was nice tonight, not much to say about it though, it would probably bore you all. But from a coupla grad student in the dept I got tickets to the sneak preview tonight of "About a Boy". The movie that comes out Friday with Hugh Grant. I was expecting it to be cheesy, corny, a total chick flick. It was so much better than I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it, and it was very humorous! I reccomend it as an entertaining movie. And I got to see it with Ruthie, so that was fun. We ended up walking back to Hutch for Lallapolivingroom. A two-day concert with about 20 bands. We got there at about 11:30 and caught the end of the Starlister performance. They were pretty decent I guess. Michael called tonight. Great to talk to him again, I was actually planning on calling him in the next 24 hours or so. Silly to say, but it's lonely online sometimes without him to IM and for me to bother. ;o) Coming back to my room I just want to jump in bed and curl up. wish I had someone to snuggle. I'm exhausted. Worn out. Wishing I had more energy to finish my soc reading that I'm actually enjoying. It's funny. I come back all tired and ready to just relax, but I feel like I can't go to bed without writing in the blog. It's like a bedtime ritual or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home