Sunday, October 27, 2002

Rikshaw Nightmare
I went to mass tonight at St. Ignatious Church again. After it was over Carla and I had a long journey back to our hotel, which included colliding with a bicycler, and being stranded at some random intersection for AN HOUR until finally we found a rikshaw that would take us the (less than two miles) to the Pride. It was ridiculous. After the little mishap with the biker we made friends with a church lady and she helped us cross the busy street (she obviously went into mother-mode after our previous trouble) and stood with us for half an hour as we tried to hail a rikshaw home. About five stopped, but either they didn't want to go our way, or had no idea where it was and weren't to take directions from a girl. It makes no sense, you'd think that they would want Rupees. They seem so desperate most of the time, but not when it comes to two girls stranded in the dark at night. After 30 min the lady had to leave to get back home, so Carla and I kept trying to flag down rikshaws, with no luck. One large one stopped, which was crammed with about 8 guys inside all smiling very big, but we were NOT about to ride. Just as we were about to get desperate and were pondering climbing into one of the larger rikshaws we finally hailed one and the driver was so nice. He delivered us right to the Hotel and even gave us change! Usually the drivers keep the extra 2Rs and always rip you off. We were so fortunate to finally get back to the hotel. So all in all we actually spent more time traveling then we actually spent in church. Next time I'm just going to bring my headlamp and a bat (for protection) and we'll walk home...... just kidding.
Religious Text
When I wasn't in my room trying to finish my reading of the Mahabharata I pretty much spent the entire day with Carla. We met for breakfast at 9am and the headed to Cafe Coffee Day of FC Road. Bought two coconut coffees (yum!) and spent about two hours reading and discussing religion. Religion has been a delicate subject to talk about since in our group there are athiests, christians (from very different denominations), hindus and muslims. I really like discussing stuff with Carla. It's interesting to hear the perspective of another Christian, especially when we have differing views on things.
Many people have gotten pretty upset with certain comments that people in our group have made. I don't know if these people know if they're hurting people with words though. It's hard to approach them about it, and even if one of us did, I don't know if it would make a difference.
Time Zone
Wow. It's strange to be in a time zone that doesn't have daylight savings time. I completely forgot about that until just now. And I still have no idea why India has an extra half hour. Anyone want to fill me in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home