Saturday, July 26, 2003

Coming Home
Returning home was a bit of an adventure this summer. 13.5 hours to be exact. From Chicago to St. Louis to Salt Lake City (but not landing because we were out of gas and there was a big storm) to an unplanned stop at Boise then back to Salt Lake City and finally on to Portland. Whew. By the end of the last segment the flight attendent's had gone through the safety talk four times, cracking jokes and random thoughts inbetween the monotonous lines. Just before take-off on our last segment, very very softly in a whisper we heard over the microphone: "You are getting sleepy. Very very sleepy. Go to sleep! Go to sleep! Go to sleep! You do not want any peanuts or drinks. Besides, peanuts give you gas. Go to sleep! Go to sleeeeepppp....." And minutes before our final landing: "Well we're here. Welcome to Portland. But, surprise, you all have to stay on the plane. Since we've all grown so comfortable together and we know how much you love flying: Next stop: Hawaii!" Then: "Welcome to Portland, due to the late nature of the hour, and the fact that no one cares, this announcement has been canceled." At least the flight attendents were having fun in our flight of misery.
One of the Greatest Joys of Summer: Pleasure Reading
The Haitian cab driver transporting me from Hyde Park to Midway was cool, even though he could hardly believe that I am turning 22 in a coupel of months. We talked about school and life and laughed. I love riding with funny cab drivers. What struck me most from our conversation is one thing that he mentioned: "My greatest wish is to just have three hours of free time with no work to read. I love to read." That comment makes me realize just how fortunate I am. With one of the most amazing jobs ever for the first six weeks of the summer I have the financial stability to take the last month off to relax. I am so priveleged.
The two highlights of the flight (and really what kept me from going insane as I sat backward in a chair that did not recline on the plane) were the two books I read. I finished Hullaballoo in the Guave Orchard by Kiran Desai, and then on the second segment of my travels read Into the Wild in its entirety with an hour to spare and naps in between. Thanks to Parker for loaning it to me when I found it snooping through his bookshelf, and to Jared for encouraging me to read it. What a great book! What was really eery to me was how well I knew the area where much of the action took place. As the author wrote the story of Chris' last travels I could picture exactly what he was seeing and experiencing: Traveling up 101 on the Oregon Coast (even stopping in Manzanita of all places!), stops in Northern California where I've been before, the UAF campus with the GI and trails behind, the road to Denali Natl. Park, and the area of his final destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home