Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I hope all the Frats read this on campus
This is one of the best letters-to-the-editor that I've read. Check out what The Maroon, my school newspaper received and published in their January 13th issue:

A few days ago, I passed a fraternity house which advertised a “White-Trash Party,” encouraging guests to come wearing “mullet” haircuts. Of course, I appreciate this attempt to spread awareness about Appalachian culture and that of poor whites in general, as these are under-represented groups at this university. Nonetheless, I wonder why this ethnic group has been singled out for such treatment. In the future, in order to prove their good faith and commitment to diversity, I challenge U of C fraternities to celebrate “Black-Trash,” “Latino-Trash,” “Indian-Trash,” and all other cultures of the poor and oppressed. Perhaps it would be admissible, even, to celebrate a “Rich, White-Rubbish” party, in which guests wear the letters of their favorite fraternity.

Or, if I have misunderstood the intent of those who organized this event, I hope they will correct my error.

Joseph Grim Feinberg
First-year graduate student in
anthropology

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home