Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Goodbye Alaska....for now
Well, it's my last few hours in Anchorage. For the time being at least. My time has come to an end. One the one hand, I'm incredibly excited to return back home to family and friends and my new job tomorrow morning, but on the other, I really love it up here. Anchorage is a fun city, and the weather is awesome right now. I'd love to take a couple more days off and go hiking.
On Sunday I drove over to Whittier through the tunnel, a new experience for me. It is the longest highway tunnel in North America. (13,300' or 2.5 miles and it goes straight through the hillside to the town of Whittier.
On the way in, waiting for the tunnel to open we stopped by Portage Glacier and checked out some of the neat icebergs floating in the lagoon. I love glacial ice. Portage Valley and surrounding area is so impressive. Glaciers buckling in the hanging valleys above you, slowly creeping along the rocks, there are dozens of them in the surrounding area.
Sunday night we returned late to Anchorage after misjudging the tunnel release, and yesterday I ended up spending the entire day at the Quality Schools Institute, speaking with hundreds of teachers about education and the Quality Schools Model (standards-based education, which I've grown found of!). Then last night I had dinner with Carrie, Jake and Dane at Bear Tooth and rented a movie.
My plans for the rest of the day are to finish up my tiedyeing and silksceening, to drive over to the USGS and buy some maps, eat a good lunch alone at some neat restaurant, and to continually pack in preparation for tonight. I have so much junk that I've aquired; I really have no idea how it's all going to fit in my two bags.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home