Thursday, July 11, 2002

Chena River Canoeing
Two hours of canoeing down the Chena River this evening with my clan. We started at a park in downtown Fairbanks and ended at Chena River Park near the University. It was fun! I'd love to spend a bit more of my summer doing some canoe trips or something. I was thinking how awesome it would be to visit Ruthie sometime and canoe the boundary waters at her house in Minnesota. I gotta put that on my to-do list. Anyways, canoeing went great, and everyone loved it. People tipped their canoes once we reached our put-out. On purpose of course. And then brought down others with them. Luckily I came out dry. Oh oh oh! And I should mention that it was actually HOT once again today! Tank top and shorts weather is back!
Jared
Surprisingly I would have to say that one of the best parts of my day actually came unexpectedly. We reached our put-out at about 8:04pm. The Outdoor Adventure staff member was supposed to meet us at 8pm to pick up the canoes. He wasn't around when we got there. And after 20 minutes of waiting he still hadn't arrived. The students were complaining to go back to the dorms. They had had their fill of a water fight and now were sopping wet and cold. So I volunteered to stay behind with the canoes as Jared drove the clan back to the dorms. While I was sitting on the bank of the Chena River starting a letter to Paul a little boy came up to me and introduced himself. Right away we clicked. He was just a fun little kid. After a few minutes he ran away barefoot and barechesterd, playing in the grass nearby--I continued to write my letter. Then all of a sudden I feel these hands on my shoulders... BOO! he shouts. I jumped. He giggled. "Did I scare you?". I just laughed and then we started chatting. I was surprised by his eagerness to talk to a stranger. But he was adorable. Dark brown hair, dark skin. Native. Beautiful brown eyes. Missing his front teeth. I asked him how old he was and started having a conversation. I couldn't help but grin the whole time talking to him. He is 5 and starting kindergarton in the fall. His name was Jared and he was very curious why I had so many canoes. I explained our trip and he began to tell me all about his canoeing trip that he'd been on. And how we were slow-pokes because we could have used a boat and would have gone much faster. Then he went into a story about how he went fishing at Chena Lakes. He's going to be such a hearth-throb when he's older. I can tell. Just from his mannerisms while he talked, he was so cute. His mom came over and talked to me for a bit and then called him back to their family table at the other end of the riverbank. Then a few minutes later he sneaks up on me and starts twirling my braids. I was surprised at his fearlessness. Then he starts wrestling with me and trying to push me over. And we start talking again. :o)
Sketchbook
The second week I was here I made the $4.99 purchase of a thin sketchbook. I've been meaning to start drawing a bit. Tonight (now 5th week of the program) after lights out I just had to get outside. I grabbed my fleece blanket and my backpack and headed out to the Art. I don't know what it's called. It doesn't seem right to call it a sculpture...but I can't think of the right word for it. It's the only artsy thing on campus in my opinion. I love it. So I spread my fleece blanket out and laid on my stomach as I opened my sketchbook. The first blank piece of paper. I took a sharpened pencil out of my backpack, looking up at the Art with the pink sunset sky behind I started to draw. Flicking mosquitos off me, more and more lines appeared on the paper and the sketch started to take form. I was initially pleased. And hour and a half later at 1am I was done. Semi-content with my work. Maybe tomorrow I'll track down a scanner and scan to share with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home