Friday, July 12, 2002

Zines
Many people don't know what a zine is and have never heard of the word before. Well, let me explain. A zine is like a tiny magazine, but without the unwanted ads. They're usually homemade, artsy, creative, original and very personal to the author. But there are no specific qualifications to make a zine. eZines can be online, but the true zine (at least in my opinion) is the homemade one in print. I've been thinking of making one of my own for a long time, but just haven't found the time or energy yet. But my first-year roommate Arline has made a few and they were fun to read and to watch her as she produced them. I have collaborated to help make a zine though. Carbon Copy, a club at the UofC, is making a zine about interesting and unusual fun things to do out of Hyde Park. We are organizing it by different stops on each of the eL train lines--making it easier to use and for students to go explore. Also, RSO's (registered student organizations) were allowed to design pages with information on places to visit that are specific to the interest of the RSO. We'll be handing out these zines free to the incoming first-year students and the rest of the student body. I'm excited to see the finished project. Each person in the club took at least one page to design.
Today as I was reading Willamette Week Online, an independent Portland, Oregon newspaper/magazine, I came across information about the Portland Zine Symposium happening this weekend:
"sat-sun:self-expression
the portland zine symposium
After last year's successful weekend of workshops and networking, the second zine symposium is back with a host of panels, discussions and seminars. From screenprinting to papermaking to DIY comics and copyright law, there's something for all of Portland's budding literpreneurs. (Friday night also has bands, starting at 6 pm.)
Portland State University, 1825 SW Broadway. Saturday-Sunday, July 13-14. For further information go to www.pdxzines.com."
I really wish I was home right now! I would love to attend this event!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home