Wednesday, July 02, 2003

2:04am, Alaskan Time
I looked out of my window and saw this large bird swooping in. It landed on a cement wall, and then I could see the sillhouette. A huge Great-Horned Owl. Then, it beautifully took off and swooped up to perch on top of the light post about 50 feet from my window. I'm on the third floor and the top of the light post is about eye level with me, maybe a little taller. This enhanced my view. It was a gorgeous bird. I sat staring for a few minutes, and then decided that I had to go outside to see it up close. At home, we have spotted owls in our yard, and the babies are so adorable and surprisingly friendly. In the past they've let me go up to them until I'm about 5 feet away. so I thought I'd see how close this bird would let me get. I swiftly walked downstairs and out the front door of the dorm, hoping that she'd still be waiting nearby. I slowly stepped closer and closer to the lightpost where the owl was still perched. I was impressed by her size. I snapped a photograph. I've seen large owls before, but definitely never a bird as big as this. She kept her eye on me most of the time, curious, while also swiveling her head around to look for food. I got about 10 feet away from the pole, when suddenly she took off, fully spreading her wings. Her wingspan must have been at least as wide as my arms held apart. Swooping over my head, she dove down to the parking lot pavement and I watched as a mouse then dangled from her beak. Then, after the big gulp, she perched herself on another lightpost as I began to walk towards her again. I got near, and then circled her post counter-clockwise. Nervous, she extended her wings and took off for another perch atop an adjacent lightpost. I snapped a picture in mid-flight. I followed her again, and admired her beauty. After a few more minutes of eye contact between us she took off to a spot a few hundred yards away, grabbed her next unsuspecting prey, and flew out of sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home