Sunday, June 17, 2007

Paul & I have joined a soccer team. He's been on it for a while as goalie (which is obvious once you see him-- he is scraped and bruised all over!) and Wednesday was the first game for me. I sucked. And I am SO OUT OF SHAPE it is sad. I was sore all over for two days after. Even, inexplicably my arms (and no, I didn't do a throw-in). I wasn't terrible, but I definitely didn't play like I should have. The sad part is that I knew where I was supposed to be and what to do but my body would just not cooperate to get me there. Some of it might have had to do with the super hot weather, but the other 90% was definitely due to my out of shape body.

BUT, on the other hand, I am in decent biking shape. Yesterday Paul & I woke up and biked out to Blue Mounds State Park. We took the Military Ridge Trail, which is a bike/walking trail that follows and old train track (so it's graded pretty well and there's not huge hills). About 70% of our ride was on a dirt path, which made it a bit more slow going than usual but we still made decent time. When we got to the park entrance we suddenly found ourselves at the finish line of a 100/200km bike race, which was hilarious, because there were people on the sidelines rooting us on (assuming we were part of the race, even though we were the only ones not in skin-tight bike jerseys), and Paul even had his picture taken by the photographer at the finish line!

By mid-afternoon we had biked back home, pedaling fast because we thought the predicted t-storms were going to hit us (they never came). Our route ended up being 57 miles round trip and at the end we both felt wonderful. I felt like I could have gone for many miles more, even on my slow hybrid. And the best thing is that I'm not even sore today! I'm hoping that we can do some longer weekend trips (maybe even overnight?) this summer.

Last night we started planning the details our of chicken coop, and this morning we settled on a basic design. Hopefully in an hour or so we'll head to home depot and pick up the needed items to start building. Luckily, there is a lot of extra lumber laying around our house from the previous owners, so we shouldn't have to buy too much. The biggest expense will probably be for the fencing.

Today Ruthie is coming to visit as she drive from Minneapolis to Chicago. And the best thing is that I'm catching a ride with her into the city. I was going to take the bus, but this is a much better solution all around. I love when things work out so perfectly. And I'm excited to spend a little more time with Ruthie.

I'll be spending the night at Sylvie's place (who's almost done with med school - hurray!) and hanging out with Karin all of Monday. I haven't seen either of them since college graduation, our last day as roommmates in college, so this should be fun. Karin is back from South Asia just for a few days, so I'm lucky to take a day off to get to see her.

Summer is off to a great start, with lots of unexpected visitors (Ruthie and Craig) and bbqs with neighbors, chicken coop building, bike rides and fun plans. Also, hopefully, a boundary waters trip in July!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home